One day course on the subject of applying for a position in the theater and legal rights of the artist and the theater employer.
● Theater systems (German speaking region, Europe, USA)
● Ensemble theater, repertoire – and seasonal (Stagione) system
● Possibilities in career planning
● Building personal skills for personal marketing.
● Using the Bühnenjahrbuch
● Artists Agencies (Description of responsibilities of European Agents, brief view of legalities in the artist/agency relationship …)
● Improving self-assessment
● Professional application/résumé preparation
● The Vocal Competition as opportunity for visibility among opera directors and agents. Introduction to the most important competitions in Europe.
● Opera Studio – further studies or first career opportunity? Introduction to the most important Opera Studios in Europe.
● The first engagement – which aspects are important to consider? Guest engagement or fixed contract (1 or 2 years ex.), pre-assigned roles, number of performances, salary…?
● The first contract – Analysis of typical fixed contracts for singers (NV Bühne)
● Analysing a typical guest contract in the European system.
● The singer’s duties and responsibilities (Introduction to procedures in a typical opera house) with situational examples.
● Singer’s rights – what are one’s subjective and objective boundries? Potential problem solving with situational examples.
“Everybody thinks of changing humanity and nobody thinks of changing himself.”